Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 8 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- 4 oz low fat cottage cheese
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh ground leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Black pepper to taste
- 2 large zucchini cut lengthwise into 8 (1/4 inch thick) slices
- 1/2 lb lean ground hamburger, cooked and crumbled (optional) (I make extra meat the night before for leftovers for this) (1 Italian Turkey Sausage, Optional)
- 1 cup marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded part skim mozzarella cheese
1. Add all of the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth.
2. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
3. Heat a grill or grill pan to medium high heat.
4. While the grill is heating, slice the zucchini lengthwise into 1/4 inch thick planks.
5. Spray with cooking spray or brush with oil both sides of the zucchini planks, then sprinkle with salt and pepper.
6. Place the zucchini on the hot grill and cook for about 2 minutes on each side or until the zucchini is soft and pliable.
7. Remove from the grill and cool until they can be handled.
Assembling the Zucchini Lasagna Rolls
8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
9. Spray a 10.5 x 7′ casserole dish or similar size with cooking spray.
10. Spread a 1/4 cup of marinara sauce evenly over the bottom of the dish.
11. Spoon about a tablespoon of the ricotta filling onto one side of the zucchini and spread it into an even layer.
12. Sprinkle a few of the cooked sausage crumbles on top of the filling.
13. Roll up the zucchini and place them seam side down in the casserole dish.
14. Top the zucchini rolls with the remaining marinara sauce and shredded mozzarella cheese.
15. Bake in the over for 20-25 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.